New background

Thursday, December 1, 2011

High Winds

Last night was a long night. E started throwing up just before midnight. She came into our room saying that she was sticky (I think she meant stinky but who knows). She was excited to actually be sick. You see in October we went to visit Larry's family and his youngest brother was sick the whole time. Ever since E has tried using the excuse that she is sick to get out of things and last night she was actually sick. Aren't kids just so stinking hilarious. Anyway, on with my story, because E was puking all night and is still too young to not get it every where without any help I sent Larry downstairs to the guest room and I stayed up with little girl. Sometime it the odd hours of the morning it started blowing out side. It was so loud. Of course being cut off from the world like I am, I had no idea that we were suppose to have dangerously high winds last night and today. Larry knew but he didn't think to tell me, which was probably the best for a worrier like me. I finally went to sleep shortly after five. Sometime in between then and nine when I woke up our power turned off. When we got up and looked out the window I was surprise how windy it really was. I can't remember ever being in wind so strong and I am from the desert where high winds are common. When the winds died down shortly after noon, Larry went out and about. All the traffic lights were out so it took him a hour to go about a mile and a half and back. He said that there were huge trees uprooted all over. We came out of it in pretty good shape. We did have some shingles go flying but that was all. I kept having horrid thoughts about the ginormous tree out front uprooting and smashing the house, so I will take a few shingles. Well we spent the day without any power which was no real big deal. Ever thing in the fridge and freezer stayed cold and I took comfort in knowing that I could just put stuff in the ice chest and stick it outside because it was in the thirties outside, if the fridge warmed up too much. At about four I was starting to worry that the power wouldn't come back on before dark. That was a prospect I was not looking forward to. It was starting to get really cold in the house and my kids don't like the dark. They probably would have loved the candles I was planning on using but I knew that I would be relighting them about every second or so. Lucky for us, just before five the power started up. I got to turn on the heater and made a delicious turkey noodle soup for dinner, which beats the sandwiches that were in our future if the power failed to come back on. I feel so blessed that our day ended up very normal. It could have very easily been a crazy day. My heart goes out to those who were not as fortunate as we were.

No comments: